Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Real Women Have Curves Movi


           I chose to write about a movie once again because these movies really proved something to me. also I learned a lot of things that before I did not understand such as what acculturation and assimilation mean.A character named Ana plays the biggest role in this movie and I thats why throughout this you will see my opinion on these words towards her.Acculturation as I understand is when one adopts some of the culture surrounding you but still maintain in one’s own ethnic culture. I believe in this movie Ana doesn’t fall into this category because from my perspective it seems as if she has lost some if not most of her ethnic culture. She doesn’t speak Spanish clearly and when asked to work at the factory with her family she doesn’t enjoy the idea of having to go through it because in a way she makes it seem as if though she deserves better or as if she is embarrassed. With that being said I am not saying she doesn’t deserve better because she is given the opportunity to do better but her family will not permit it.

Assimilation is adopting the dominant culture as one’s own and losing most of one’s ethnic culture because there is more interest in the surrounding one. I feel Ana falls more into this category because she loses a lot of the culture her family holds. A lot of times I believe when one moves to the United States and one is raised there from childhood they tend to lose most of their ethnic culture. Also the fact that she didn’t find her virginity to be something important was something that really brought out the idea of her assimilation. Usually in one’s culture, well at least Hispanic culture, it is very important and respected that one save their virginity. With that being said I am not saying that every Hispanic is abstinent because that is not the case.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment